The WX Mentoring Program is designed to promote the advancement of women in the real estate profession. Now in its seventh year, the program matches WX Scholars with WX members as mentors. Through formal programs and both formal and informal mentoring, the program provides young women at the start of their careers in the real estate industry the opportunity to leverage the knowledge and experience of WX members. All WX Scholars are eligible to participate in the structured program for two years.
The Mentoring programs aim to present a combination of educational and professional development events, and to address current topics for discussion and analysis. The 2018-2019 Mentoring Program included the following events:
- WX Cook-Off | The program kicked-off the year Italian-style with its first event in September. WX Mentor-Mentee pairs met and gathered at Rustico Cooking for an evening of networking, conversation, cooking, wine and dining. The evening was a spectacular – and delicious – success. Mentor-Mentee pairs met for the first time and became acquainted over a “home-cooked” meal.
- You’ve Earned It Baby | In November, the WX Mentoring Committee welcomed Joann S. Lubin, career columnist for The Wall Street Journal, Pulitzer Prize winner and author of “Earning It: Hard-Won Lessons from Trailblazing Women at the Top of the Business World.’’ Joann’s presentation addressed imposter syndrome – the notions of insecurity and self-doubt about whether we are “good enough” to have earned a “seat at the table.” In addition to her personal experiences, Joann shared insights and strategies gleaned from top women executives that are the basis of her book. After an active Q&A session, attendees received a copy of her book.
- The Art of the Deal WX Style | Building on our initiative to offer intimate roundtables, in December WX Mentees learned from industry experts Sara Berkeley of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, and Rachel Hunter of Apollo Global Management, on deal closing essentials. The workshop demystified the closing process and focused on due diligence, standard practices and legal implications of closing a deal.
The Ultimate Career Night | The Mentoring Program hosted its fourth annual Career Night event on January 23rd. The symposium style event comprised panels on Development, Investment Management, Capital Markets, and Construction, Design and Architecture. Participants selected two of these panels, each hosted by WX Members who shared personal stories as well as practical advice for how to succeed in their fields of expertise. The event concluded with Mentor-Mentee networking over light bites and refreshments.
- Building Value Ground-Up | On February 25th, Tracey Gamble, Managing Director at Apollo Global Management, and Jackie Renton, Senior Director at Atlas Capital Group, will discuss the process and skills needed to develop, operate and maintain real estate assets at a Mentee roundtable. This small group format is intended to elicit genuine dialogue about how best to protect and build asset value as well as share hard-learned pitfalls to avoid.
- Mentor-Mentee Wrap-Up | The WX Mentoring Committee is finalizing the plans for our annual Mentor-Mentee annual wrap-up event. While the details are still-in-the-works, count on a fun, casual night with lots of networking, food, drink and perhaps a game or two. Stay tuned.